ORIGINAL WWII 774th BOMBARDMENT SQUADRON, 463rd BOMBARDMENT GROUP SQUADRON PATCH removed from an A2 jacket.
EMBROIDERED ON FELT.
HIGHLY DECORATED B-17 ETO/MTO UNIT,
DISTINGUISHED UNIT CITATION: PLOESTI, RUMANIA, 18 MAY 1944; GERMANY, 24 MAR 1945.
Established in mid-1943 as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombardment squadron; assigned to Second Air Force for training. Attached in late 1943 and early 1944 to Air University Army Air Force School of Applied Tactics. Deployed to Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO) in February 1944, squadron taking the South Atlantic Transport Route though the Caribbean and South America; transiting the Atlantic Ocean via Brazil and Dakar, French West Africa, being assigned to Fifteenth Air Force in March 1944 at several airfields in Southern Italy.
Engaged in long-range strategic bombardment of enemy military, industrial and transport targets, including oil refineries and production oilfields in Italy; France; Southern Germany; Austria and the Balkans. Continued strategic bombardment until German capitulation in May 1945. Demobilized in place in Italy during the summer of 1945; inactivated in September