North Vietnamese Army Brass Sun Helmet Badge QLTT
$149.99Very Good Condition
North Vietnamese Army insignia was developed over decades. They started with simple five pointed stars; added “Du Kich Quan” (Guerrilla Army) under the star; eliminated the writing in favor of brass 1st Model Badge with a simple star; and ended in 1959 with a star with sun bursts behind it, a cog wheel at the bottom and rice stalks surrounding the star.
All of these pre 1975 sun helmet badges are almost always made from cast or stamped BRASS.
The red coating on the front was enamel and is often chipped or has subsurface flaws.
On the other hand, post-1975 SRV sun helmet badges are always made from aluminum and have candy apple red paint rather than enamel. The gold color on the insignia is bright and shiny.
There are three exceptions to this rule:
1). NVA small pin back cap badges were made from aluminum. They had gilt gold edges and blood red, not candy apple, coloring.
2) There are some early NVA screw back sun helmet badges made in aluminum. Like the above cap badge, they are gilt gold edges and blood red coloring.
3) Viet Cong Sun Helmet Badge were made before 1975 from aluminum. They had blood red coloring, not candy apple red, and the gilt enamel. After 1975 the DRV took over all political and military functions and phased out the NLF, including their flag and insignia.
Have a question about this item? Ask us anything
Why buy from Enemy Militaria?
• Lifetime authenticity guarantee.
• 30-day return policy.
• We've been collecting and selling militaria since the mid 1970s.
• Our online store has been in business since 2017.
• We accept credit cards & mailed payments.
• We ship worldwide - shipping rate will show in your cart before you pay.
• Enhanced staffing for fast shipping.
• We are veteran owned.